Sunday, July 03, 2005

when owen wilson wrote david denby

there seems to be a small, but significant blogger population that dislikes denby. but i promise to be more thorough, as well as more pointed in my critique. anyway, owen wilson's letter to the nyer is at this site, down under the feb 8 2005 entry.

update 7/18/2007:

Since searchers seem to land here, and defamer seems a little overwhelmed, I thought I'd help. Here is the full text of the letter from the Feb 14, 2005 New Yorker:

"I read David Denby's piece on Ben Stiller with great interest (The Current Cinema, Jan 24th &31st). Not because it was good or fair toward my friend but exactly because it wasn't. I've acted in two hundred and thirty-seven buddy movies and,w ith that experience, I've developed an almost preternatural feelf or the beats that any good budy movie must have. And many the most crucial audience-rewarding beat is where one buddy comes to the aid of the other guy to help defeat a villain. Or bully. Or jerk. Someone the audience can really root against. And in Denby I realized excitedly that I had hit on the trifecta. How could an audience not be dying for a real "Billy Jack" moment of reckoning for Denby after he dismisses or diminishes or just plain insults practically everything Still has ever worked on? And not letting it rest there, in true bully fashion Denby moves on to take some shots at the way Ben looks and even his Jewishness, describing him as the 'latest, and crudest, version of the urban Jewish male on the make.' The audience is practically howling for blood! I really wish I could deliver for them - but that's Jackie Chan's role.

Owen Wilson
Dallas, Texas"
(38)

Sorry for the typos. They are likely mine and not the NYers. When I have a moment, I'll be posting excerpts from Denby's review in the current posts.

Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger espd said...

Hiya. If you want to provide live links in future, it's as easy as surrounding your link text, like this:

Read the article here

You just have to do it in Blogger's "Edit HTML" tab when you're creating a new post, instead of the "Compose" tab.

4:43 PM  
Blogger espd said...

Aw, crud, Blogger automatically converted my non-tags to tags. Um, lemme try this another way:

Read the article (a href="http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/gossip/owen-wilson/index.php")here (/a)

But you have to convert my use of
( to <
and
) to >
which Blogger won't let me do in the comments box.

4:55 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

thanks. see the pretty birds?

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]