Monday, February 05, 2007

May I ask about the upholstery, doctor?


freuds house in london (3)
Originally uploaded by Mike 68.
Janet Malcolm's review of Allen Shawn's Wish I Could Be There: Notes from a Phobic Life, in the NYRB opens, I think, by placing Shawn's "There" in a somewhat Freudian dialog with Lillian Ross' Here But Not Here. Just like Emdashes suggested. Malcolm mentions that Shawn's memoirs are interspersed with "school reports" on evolutionary biology and brain anatomy as well as ye olde Freudian psychology, among other things.

Other news from the not entirely well, the Goncourts "suffered from simultaneous migraines." Or so claims Graham Robb (NYRB again) in his review of Pages from the Goncourt Journals. I didn't even know they had migraines in the 19th century. Or maybe they invented them then. I used to get them myself and they were debilitating and all, but that's not to say they are not culturally produced. Link gives you the "Today in Letters" Goncourt excerpts, including the dreaded Fear of Velvet. Now that I think of it, I have a very definite anxiety about chenille.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]