Tuesday, May 23, 2006

the best writing in the NYT

was, for my $5, the letters to the editor in the magazine, collectively. strong and varied responses to that utterly demoralizing anti-contraception news from the week of may 7. which i'm sure you read or heard about.

my favorite, from that heart of darkness, that DC suburb, bethesda, md: "I see the value of combating a hypersexualized culture, but I question the methods of the abstinence-only camp. With its 'purity balls' and 'purity rings,' it sends the message that abstinence is more important for girls. Telling girls that their value is tied to their virginity sets them up for a lifetime of using sex as currency in the search for acceptance. There are better ways to promote sexual responsibility."

if the concerned citizens against coyness is looking for members, sign me up.

Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

"Purity balls"?

11:22 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Probably the year before last the NYT magazine had a big feature on this sort of popular tent-revival for teens abstinence movement thing. The teens gave each other rings . . . I don't remember reading about any balls . . .

10:35 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

I remember that article-- I recall being impressed by their skilled and sophisticated use of environmental theater.

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]