Thursday, January 11, 2007

korean film posters (sigh)

It's kind of hard to describe, but in the foyer of Pitt's Hillman Library right now are some really cool Korean film posters from the 1950s-1960s, with informative panels explaining a bit about the production history, a synopsis of the film narrative, this and that.

The posters themselves are in amazing condition, with soft, glowing colors.

The exhibit comes via The Korea Society (the link reveals the merest glimpse of the posters' beauty) in New York, where they will be showing some of the films (and, it looks like, others from the same era) starting Jan 18 and running through June.

There's some useful info in this flyer, including whom to contact if you want to host the exhibit. But before you click, please note that this flyer does not at all do justice to the breathtaking posters themselves.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger andyhorbal said...

I'll have to finally check this out today after the Timothy Corrigan lecture at noon...

10:45 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Maybe you could let me know how it goes - the lecture I mean - I'm totally in the middle of something.

11:55 AM  
Blogger andyhorbal said...

It was certainly thought provoking, and the clips from Marker's Letter from Siberia (1957), which I haven't seen, were simply marvelous.

The things I'm taking away from it that I value the most are the odd quotes here and there that really caught my fancy, especially a description of the essay form (in literature) as "thinking in and through the public domain" and Bazin's description of Letter from Siberia as "an essay described by film" (my italics).

With more practice reading lectures perhaps I would have taken away something more definite, but my impressions of Professor Corrigan's actual arguments are pretty nebulous. Of course, I'm also on less than four hours of sleep and I have a hangover...

I'm certainly glad to have traded my lunch break for this experience!

On the down side, though, it went 80 minutes and I didn't have time to see the Korean movie posters...

1:44 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Thanks. That's enough to make me wish I'd been there. Damn.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]