Wednesday, March 01, 2006

teach film, save money

New Yorker Films (no relation) threw the book at a well meaning bunch of cinophiles and I learned about "the shakedown" at this blog, here.

Luckily, the laws don't apply if the film is "for class" so here's another reason why colleges and universities should take film studies seriously. So that everyone can watch cool (old, new, foreign, indie, classic Hollywood) films for free, even in the boondocks. When I'm teaching film, I like to get as many people, in the class or not, to the screenings so that you get that radically-different-but-shared-experience sensation. Even if you reserve actual discussion-using-spoken-language for classtime.

So I have to disagree with this, from the Sun-Time article,

"Lindsay Kralovetz, 21, a film student from Green Bay, Wis., said the experience of watching classic movies on a big screen furthers students' appreciation of the films.

'To be able to watch them with a bunch of other people that appreciate them like you do in that kind of environment is a great experience.' "

For me, it's more about watching with people who might experience the films "unlike" I do, and appreciation has nothing to with it at all. I hate the old "clapping for credit" stigma that is now attached to film classes and I tend to think that uppity campus film societies contribute to this problem rather than encouraging us to think critically and analytically about the films.

PS. Do you ever go to movies alone? Just curious . . . . I do.

Categories: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger mzn said...

I can't sympathize too much with these film society folks. They should know better.

I don't mind watching films with people who experience them differently but I can't stand it when people laugh in that snarky, superior way at scenes in movies that I love that have styles of acting or dialogue that they find cheesy or dated. It makes me irate.

I love to go to the movies alone. I used to do it more often but I still love it. I've also gone to the theater alone, though, and felt lonely. I don't know if I would do that again.

9:33 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I like the fact that this exchange takes place in a bathroom. That still preserves a certain function even though no one at the New Yorker has an anus.

9:19 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

more on going to the movies alone: i don't like watching rented/netflix movies alone. that's really solitary. i only do it when i'm super misanthropic or ill.

but i do like watching movies on TV alone. because, duh, i'm not really alone. benedict anderson is always with me . . .

1:57 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

you know what? more than once i've drunk a whole bottle of pino grigio on my own. maybe i was on the phone at the time, but its true. or maybe i was feeling super misanthropic and watching a borrowed from the library copy of the haunting. over and over.

if you taught film classes, sepoy, you might be able to obligate undergrads to watch chuck norris with you. or is that what you mean? but never on sundays.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]