Friday, April 21, 2006

nauseating grammar


Etajima Bay
Originally uploaded by kamoda.
One Wanda Ball feels a little queasy at the thought of a gently swaying and amply breakfasted Bill Buford in bib pants. Unless it is a gently swaying breakfast inside the bib pants of an ample Bill Buford:

"But the bib pants were uncomfortably snug--I learned later that Oshinski had grabbed the wrong pair and given me a pair belonging to Isabel, his wife, not a small woman but much, much smaller than me--and my breakfast constricted alarmingly when I walked outside, tipping side to side like a moonwalker, because I couldn't bend my knees."

And she identifies the issue my cousin found the oyster story in (see below) as the April 10, 2006 issue. I still can't find it.

First Lemann (with that soupy triple negative) and now Buford. What is journalistic prose coming to?

Categories: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger zoe p. said...

Whoops. Should be "in which my cousin found the oyster story" . . . Grandpa Boccigalupe is rolling over in his grave.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the link, ZP. I like your affective links. "Kinesthetic"?

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're kinda nuts. i like it, though.

11:35 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Wanda: I think it's also spelled kinaesthetic . . . ? A kind of loosy goosey term for a physical, bodily sense of mobility and where one is . . . like, you know, for dance. Or hand and eye cooridnation. Without, necessarily, the use of eyes. Used in a sentence: The excellent PE teacher knows that it's not about competition; it's about teaching kids fitness and a sense of kinesthetics.

11:56 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

And by "loosy goosey" I mean having something to do with Greek.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah. So that's what loosy goosey means.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]