Monday, March 27, 2006

sex, slumming, soup and Bill O'Reilly

Politics makes strange bedfellows, but then, so does sex. You would think I'd be all over this, but my interest wandered just after that passage about slumming Vassar girls . . . I had no idea where Lemann was going. But had I known . . . . EL at My Amusement Park read the whole damn thing, went back and read the previous installments, AND heard O'Reilly on Fresh Air. And thus she creates an engaging and interesting review of the March 27 article, "Fear Factor How Bill O'Reilly changed cable news" by Nicholas Lemann. Thanks so much, EL.

Oh wait, now I remember why I stopped reading the piece: "I never saw Nassau County, Long Island, where O'Reilly, who is fifty six grew up, in the nineteen sixties, but I'm guessing that restaurants so unpretentious that they wouldn't serve a soup-of-the-day didn't actually exist." (34) Wha? I'M guessing that's a triple negative and that Lemann thinks that they did, after all, serve the soup in the nineteen sixties. But who the hell knows?

Categories: ,

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

I understood Lemann to mean they DID serve the soup, meaning he understands O'Reilly's recollections to be inaccurate.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zp: But surely he was joking about the soup to begin with. I mean, I know that's not the point, but nobody really thinks there is anything...oh never mind.

I have been working on the "round-up" for "Something from Nothing". (Thought I'd better get a head start, as I'm very slow at this stuff.) Most of the food bloggers post photos, but I have a number of entries from non-food bloggers, and indeed non-bloggers altogether.

I was debating with myself about adding pictures to the links to the unillustrated entries. I briefly considered adding the picture from your blog, and wondered if people would think Gertrude Stein was actually you. (I guess Alice B. T. would be a more likely entrant that G.S.) Don't worry, I decided against adding pictures..

Sorry. I'm a little punchy from all this unaccustomed tech-y activity.

10:52 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

on the soup: i was trying to express that not only was the whole phrasing of the thing too complicated, but that it parsing it was hardly worth the effort and left one more confused than before.

on gertrude and alice: did anyone ever create a flattering visual representation of alice? poor alice. gertrude got lucky with this portrait, she's looked worse. like, in photos.

on the round up: i'm sure it will be as elegant as toast, which draws praise from all your adoring readers for its startling visuals and fine prose.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, it would seem that ABT looked rather like a balding gray spider monkey in giant sandals.But her food was apparently divine. Or so it is said.

Though I enjoyed reading her recipes, they nearly all seemed uncookable.I suspect her of having been the sort to keep her cooking secrets to herself, so that her food would be mysteriously amazing.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]