Thursday, March 15, 2007

something glossier

pullquote read Anthony Lane, on too beautiful. Which made me think of Marie Menken, also on the mind of Chutry Experiment.

Emdashes and Madame Librarian read Dana Goodyear on The Poetry Foundation. Emdashes followed up on some sort of poetry controversy I haven't followed.

Which begs the question, just what have I been up to?

I've been reading Vanity Fair, actually.

Michael Wolff, on Scooter Libby, has a kind of theory about Democrats, Republicans and phone etiquette.

Robert Baer profiles the CEO of death and destruction. But it's more than that. The profile is a kind of excuse for the research, which is sort of backwards from TNY where sometimes interesting stories seem to turn, suddenly, into profiles.

David Margolick on the bravest generals, the critical ones.

And I liked the photos of Mandy Moore. Don't believe me? Check them out, they are interesting. She looks a little like Sophia Loren. Not bad. Photos are available only in the paper magazine.

I also liked Leibovitz's cover photo of The Sopranos. I watched my second ever episode of that show and all I have to say is that I hate, hate, hate the lighting. Of the television show. The lighting of the photos is brilliant, in a dark murky way, which is, oddly, the very opposite of brilliant. Again, you'll have to flip through the paper magazine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Patau said...

John McPhee is a wonderful writer. Usually. Writer's grandson chalks grafitto with white sedimentary rock. Anticlimax ensues.

1:57 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Writing about one's children in TNY generally receives disapprobation here. Do a search, I'm with you.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]