Friday, February 01, 2008

David Denbyisms

There are lots of interesting things to note in and about TNY of late and I wish I could but I don't have the time. But here's one I can't ignore: I just read Denby's [whoops, not Denby, Lane's] Jan 14 review of the film The Orphanage, a wildly unweildy film I actually saw. Anyway, in the middle of his review he refines his [Denby's] old Knocked Up argument down to the fine point of aphorism,

"Carole Lombard would have taken one sip of a film like that and tipped it down the sink."

At that level of abstraction, and in hindsight, I totally agree.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

anthony lane reviewed the orphanage, asshole

12:29 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Too funny.

I only read bits of the review, in the bathroom, asshole.

So I guess I should say that, in that case, Lane sums up in one pithy sentence what Denby took pages to argue.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hostile! Also lazy, with the no capital letters or end punctuation. I'd be ashamed to sign my name, too.

Anyway, I dunno, at least I got to look at Paul Rudd for two hours. I like Apatow, as you know, but I hope Rudd gets to mix it up a bit in the next few years and do other kinds of movies with other kinds of directors.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Rage said...

Awesome site. Would love to hear what you think of Peter Boyer's article on Cory Booker in the Feb 4 issue. I'm still processing, but definitely had some issues with the characterizations.

8:58 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Now that I've finally read the piece, I'd love to hear more of what you thought of it, rage - here's hoping that the follow-up comments feature makes continuing this conversation a possibility? And I didn't even notice, while I was reading it, that it was by Boyer . . .

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]