Thursday, April 29, 2010

summer reading lists

In addition to being a spine-tingling, page-turner that kept me up until all hours even during this busiest of busy seasons . . . Janet Malcolm's article on the Mazoltuv Borukhova murder is also a sharp reflection on justice and journalism.

I know there's a lot of news out there, right now. And this isn't exactly timely. So bookmark it for your beach bag, maybe. Speaking of which, any recommendations and must-reads from the past few months? I have my own beach bag that needs filling.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? I thought it was a waste of a couple of hours of my life that I can't get back. I kept waiting for the smoking gun, but all I got was that Malcolm (a) is surprised that trials are messy and (b) finds it hard to understand how a mother could intentionally rob her child of both parents. Well, right. That's what I already thought about this case. Maybe I found the piece dull because I've worked in a courtroom and seen trials up close, or because I read most of the daily coverage while the trial took place. Malcolm didn't identify anything that made me seriously question the jury's verdict, never mind anything an appellate judge would consider reversible error.

9:07 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

That's hilarious.

The essay made me *wish* I'd read the daily coverage while the trial took place. And worked in a courtroom.

And I liked how forthcoming Malcolm was about her knee-jerk sympathy with the defendant. That kind of move usually grates on me, but not here, even though I was on the other side of that particular fence.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]