Tuesday, December 13, 2005

i love my cell phone, but not, you know, in that way




UPDATE: Here are the ads I could find. Note the ambigous sex, or "ambisexterity" - my term, I should copyright it like Hilton - of the photos. Not the ad on the back of the New Yorker, though. They are not that kind of audiance, I guess. What is funny is that if you search, everyday, obsessively, as I have, for images from this ad campaign you only find more and more explicit photos of the actual motopebl, of this button or that button or the hinge mechanism and you find yourself drawn into a world of tech fetishists and cell phone collectors . . .

A group totally uninterested in and unphased by the ad campaign.

And you find one little image, the redheaded lovely, on the blog of a person tracking "gay vague" - their term, or maybe someone else's - images in corporate ad campaigns. Click on that image and you'll probably be able to find your way to their website.

About Hilton, femme feral, you know, she already has a brand as a last name, so maybe her interest in copyright is determined by heredity. Like, once your name becomes a brand name, you become biologically programmed with a desire to own language. Love your recent text madness. Maybe you should read that NYer article about the typeface fellow. I went to the Bodoni Museum once, a museum dedicated to the man who invented the Bodoni font.

And a final thought: at this critical juncture, my partner in crime has begun to call my cell phone the pickle phone because it is shaped like one. Making my phone more phallic than clammy . . .

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "unfazed". "Unphased" means you're either in a parallel dimension or a Federation security officer nailed you.

4:23 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

oh damn. you are so totally right. sometimes, when i write this blog i feel as if my grandfather had returned from the grave to catch my typing and spelling errors.

that isn't you, jp, is it? i think you've always corrected me "in person" before.

4:40 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

I read today that the opposite of anonymous is onymous. Now there's a word I hope never to use again.

My cell phone is a black rectangle. If it didn't have numbers and a screen it could be the monolith from 2001 or an I.M. Pei skyscraper. I'm trying to make it appear food-like and/or sexy in my mind's eye but it just ain't happening. Too bad for me and my phone.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, not jp. Just the homophone squad on routine patrol.

Just remember: Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer.

12:19 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Outrageous puns? It is my grandfather risen from the grave. Thanks, grampa! And I wanted to tell you, I do the NYT crossword puzzle now.

10:09 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

oh, mzn, i totally forgot all about this.

the motopebl has a TV commercial that is VERY 2001, about the dawn of time and the motopebl sort of soaring through space and it is directed by David Fincher (Alien (3, i think), Fight Club, Panic Room). i found it when i was looking for that birth of venus image . . .

and the review of the pebl that went with the ad with the asian fellow (the reviewer says its a man, but his commentors aren't sure) suggested that the fellow might be (i think) some superhero's "Girl Friday" which is funny because if a man were a "Girl Friday" he'd just be a Friday but no one remembers any Fridays before the movie . . . Were there Girl Fridays before the movie? Or did the movie create the phrase? And were there Man Fridays (this sounds familiar) before the movie and after Robinson Crusoe?

11:26 AM  
Blogger mzn said...

Excellent questions about Girl and Man Fridays. I taught His Girl Friday as an intro to film TA and every semster a student would ask why the movie was called that and by the time I was done explaining I could always tell that they were no longer interested in knowing the answer.

If I had to guess I'd say that Man Fridays have been around since Defoe and that "Girl Friday" was an invention of Howard Hawks. This seems like the kind of question the internet is bad at answering . My quick search turned up little aside from this incredibly sexist business:
https://secure.gaeanet.com/egirlfri/egirlfriday.com/index2.php
(Because only women are qualified to do your most boring chores? WTF?)

6:17 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

I thought of this today when I saw the cover of Blender, the one with Ashlee Simpson's cleavage, which also offers this:

Kenny Chesney, Drinkin' and Fishin' With the Definitely-Not-Gay Divorcee.

If the allusion to a 1930s Fred & Ginger musical isn't enough to undermine the vile rhetoric, you also have the feminine suffix on "divorcee" to really get you thinking: but seriously, he's gay, right?

9:55 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

oh, more update, apparantly there are girl phones and boy phones and the moto pebl is a girl phone. according to those phone crazies i mentioned.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cellphone is so darn sexy, but seriously I never think of doing something with it except have it in my hand. We click but dont in that way you think we do ;)

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]