Friday, September 09, 2005

the chase (arthur penn, 1966)

Well, this isn't a very good movie. But it is a lot like a lot of things . . . with the strange and lovely stage-y ness of 1960s film, post studio, before the wonderful 1970s . . . So the film feels like "Rebel Without a Cause" and Penn's "Miracle Worker" and "I Want to Live!" I have to thank the undergrads for "Rebel Without a Cause" - I'd never seen it until one of my students brought it in and I was so struck by its eerie-ness I rented it that semester and, clearly, I've been thinking about it off and on since. But the stage-y ness in "The Chase" is mostly in the set and lighting.

The use of eyes, and sometimes voices is more familiar . . . and seems to have been something retained from this period of Hollywood filmmaking to the present. I mean, Robert Duvall, Jane Fonda, Marlon Brando, Robert Redford . . . I guess its fair to say that they've defined what it means to act for lots of Hollywood stars today. The scene between Robert Duvall and Brando about the $50 is great. Why does Fonda count as an actress? Klute, that's why.

Someone else was watching "The Chase." Someone very very clever.

On a related note, are Robert Redford and Brad Pitt related? Or does Brad Pitt just try to look like Redford? Sometimes I think they are all related, and sometimes I think its just something they learn.

Categories:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This, as opposed to 1994's The Chase starring Charlie Sheen and Kristy Swanson which was a cinematic masterpiece.

OK... so I like bad movies.

7:03 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I've never really had cable in my home, so I miss a lot . . . But now that I have netflix, I'm a little more omniverous, in terms of media. (I always have been in terms of food, but I think you've seen that.) Wait - have I been a media vegetarian? How shameful . . .

11:23 AM  
Blogger zinalasvegas said...

Brad Pitt is our latest edition of the Robert Redford archetype. Yes, they look very related. And yet they are not. And I am putting money on the fact that Redford is lightyears more intelligent than Beautiful Brad.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]