Tuesday, September 05, 2006

yum, socks: sept 4 issue

Although I enjoyed reading the Talk of the Town "Poached" I think it's, of course, totally lame the point of view it was written from. It's written from the point of view of the lunch buyer, which includes the author, the assumed reader and the Paul Stuart folks but not even the Paul Stuart cashiers and certainly not the Dishes cashiers. While this kind of allows for some fun little shifts in sympathy and suspense (possible, but not guaranteed and only assuming a certain readership) it leaves me wondering where and if a Paul Stuart cashier can get a quick, cheap, nutritious lunch because they must be very busy because to make ends meet they have to work two jobs.

As for the appeal of working at Dishes, maybe it's that they give you enough hours to make a decent wage? And when and where do they eat?

I puzzled this and then I was putting on a pair of hand me down socks someone gave me and I realized they were from Paul Stuart. More on my footwear later.

***

And this Tad Friend who writes for the New Yorker (aka Mr. Latte - you can look it up) did he write an article about living in Torrance in Details Magazine in the early-mid nineties? A sort of slums of Beverly Hills type thing? Involving girls in wheelchairs? I've been wrestling with Lexis-Nexis and can't find an answer.

Categories: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dishes is lousy, and the people who work there are lying jerks. I almost lost my previous job when an order for an executive meeting took nearly two hours to fill. I went to pick it up after an hour, and they hadn't even started it. Everyone gave me the runaround.

And that article is annoying!

11:21 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Hm. Perhaps you placed your order after the departure of the cashier with the excellent reputation. Sometimes when there is turnover . . .

Or perhaps the whole thing was just a load of over constructed hooha. Like most of the Talks . . . my least favorite part of the magazine I love to hate.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]