Thursday, March 29, 2007

yesterday's news

Since everyone is reading the Wal-Mart article in the recent New Yorker, I thought I'd quick draw your attention to a story in the NYT Business Day section, Wal-Mart Chief Writes Off New York. To go with. I have never been able to remember who it was that told me that the business section was the best section of the paper, and to read it first, but they were right and I will always treasure this advice.

And again, Yahoo and TNY cross paths. Yahoo on Walmart.

Also Stanley Fish on How to Pick a Mystery. He says to read the first sentence. More good advice.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just read the Wal-Mart article. It's a good one. But you really need to look at the Jamestown article, a nice piece for a side-by-side with that Donner party business from last year. Some vivid imagery.

12:05 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

You want visceral hard-luck stories? The last time I was in a Wal-Mart parking lot I heard two Wal-Mart employees talking about their meth habits.

I didn't look at the Jamestown thing, but I assume it's a visceral hard luck story? Like the Donners?

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the Jamestown story has a bit of cannibalism in it, but it's really about shifting historical judgment and history as narrative. It's not so much concerned with detailing the hardships of the Jamestown settlers.

And then there's Buford on the ultramacho restaurant kitchen. That guy needs a new beat.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]