Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Goofus and Gallant See a Documentary

Thank you, S.T. VanAirsdale!

The Reeler on David Denby, "I read David Denby so you don't have to, but this week's Sicko review is a special kind of horseshit that deserves your time if not your consideration. "Few people in Moore’s audience are likely to be displeased that (subjects) receive help from a Communist system," he writes in perhaps his most simple-minded pan ever; I gave up not long afterward, choosing not to follow Denby in his scenic round around Moore's point, modus operandi, sense of humor, etc. When did The New Yorker start cross-publishing film criticism from Highlights for Children?"

If there's anything that annoys me more than reading Denby, it's watching Moore. I only skimmed Denby on Moore and I won't likely see Sicko (unless I go with a large group of first-year internal medicine interns - I love seeing movies with audiences with an angle) but at this point, grudging defenses of Moore are more interesting than pans, I guess. Or maybe not. Me, I'm so tired of exhibitionist documentary that I'm not even going to define that term I just made up.

Oh, and I just finished watching When the Levees Broke, which is not an exhibitionist doc but felt like a traditional made-for-TV kind of doc. The voices of the locals and experts all came across good and strong and I really liked the play of what residents saw and experienced and knew with what university and professional-type researchers had to say. Just what I'd want from environmentalist media in general.

Reeler post also has something to say about why Indy, why Connecticut. Tax breaks, of course!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]