Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Query: What should I do in LA?

The recent trip to NY was a research trip for my dissertation. Today I'm leaving town again, for DC, to watch a film at the Library of Congress, also for the diss. But later this month I will be visiting an old friend in Los Angeles and I have never been to Los Angeles . . . so I'd love your thoughts on the city.

I'll check out a travel book or two from the library but does anyone have any particular recommendations? Or even just good websites to browse before I go? I love new landscapes and city landscapes and the beach, so I'd especially like recommendations for parks. Note (here is the challenge): the two of us have very little spending money. We cook, never buy coffee out and clip coupons.

FYI, I found the latest NYer in the trash.

And I recently learned that Peter Falk (aka Columbo) has a glass eye.

Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger mantooth said...

enjoy LA. it's a hard place. Eat at Versailles, a Cuban joint on Venice Boulevard at about 10100--maybe Motor is the cross street?--and get the garlic chicken or the ropa vieja. Go to the LACMA. Go to Broadway downtown on a Saturday morning and check out the old movie palaces turned cheap-goods joints. The library downtown is cool, too. Philippe's for French dip sandwiches, it's near Union Station. Watts Towers if you have a car. Exposition Park, just south of USC, is great. If you're going to the beach, avoid Venice and Santa Monica and go to Playa del Rey instead. Runyon Canyon is a nice park, take La Brea or Highland all the way up into the hills. You'll see many actors there. Go to the Norton Simon and Huntington in Pasadena if you have a car. And definitely see an evening game at Dodger Stadium.

8:59 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Thanks. That should keep me busy. Sometimes I think it is good for me as a house guest to arrive with some suggestions or interests . . . Just to keep from shrugging my shoulders indecisively.

12:23 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I did eat at Versailles . . . well, take out anyway. And I went to the beach at Laguna, which was beautiful and to the Getty Center, which is part expensive Mediterranean hotel, part cruise ship, part Victorian pleasure garden. And I went to a lot of thrift stores. I recommend this for anyone visiting LA - they have some funky stuff and, apparantly, they've been very active consumers for the last 60 years.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]