Tuesday, July 18, 2006

absinthe makes the heart grow fonder, pt 2

Or, thinking of you.

"Three days before Christmas I got a cashier's check on a Las Vegas bank for $100. A note written on hotel paper came with it. He thanked me, wished me a Merry Christmas and all kinds of luck and said that he hoped to see me again soon. The kick was in the postscript. 'Sylvia and I are starting our second honeymoon. She says please don't be sore at her for wanting to try again.'

I caught the rest of it in one of those snob columns in the society section of the paper. I don't read them often, only when I run out of things to dislike."


From Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye.

As for things I like, you might take a look at Eat where a family writes about cooking, food-related shopping (is there a better term for this?) and eating out in Pittsburgh and New York City.

Finally, in local news, my Kretschmann farmbox runneth over. I've gotten so many more fresh herbs than I can eat (even if I cut sage into a green salad every blessed day) that I tried something very homemaker. I zapped the extra rosemary (btw 2 paper towels) in our brand new super powerful microwave - it came out perfectly dry and green and fragrant. I think I read this in some Martha related periodical once and I feel like that woman (and by "that woman" I mean her and her empire and the brilliant writers and researchers who work for her) earns every penny. Every now and then she imparts a stroke of genius (is that possible? I mean nothing is original, it's just she finds things and tells me about them), like putting rolled up paper towels into bottles to dry them. Works every time. Here you have my illustration of Martha's methods, rosemary right, towels left. And a small tribute to MFK Fisher, that's my mirror in the kitchen. Good thing I saved some of those canning jars.

I don't even think her name is really Martha - Martha in the Bible is a perfect hostess, Martha Washington is America's very first first lady and now Martha Stewart American super-hostess. Not a coincidence. And, yeah, I know her last name's not Stewart.

I miss the New Yorker.

4 Comments:

Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Provisioning?

10:35 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I thought you might have a word for it. Actually, I had you in mind when posting the link, because it's not just provisioning, but the joys and pitfalls of provisioning in New York City.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the endorsement! Although for the next little while I, at least, will be writing about the joys and pitfalls of home remodeling in Pittsburgh...

9:35 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Oh, Rebecca. Sigh. Those joys and pitfalls we know too well.

We've got the type of house (and budget) where I work and I slave and when I'm done I've removed or replaced something and then the space looks vaguely normal and inoffensive, rather than disturbing and decrepit.

Your cabinets are breathtaking now, I can't wait to see them after.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]