Thursday, July 20, 2006

catholic fictions

I thought about posting on this, then got bored with it. Right after that, I immediately encountered references to Catholic candy and the Golden Girls and I decided it was fate.

So, my three favorite TV shows ever are all, weirdly, Catholic:

1. The Golden Girls, 2. M*A*S*H, 3. The X-Files. It's not that the shows represent Catholics (though they do - the Petrillos, Father Mulcahey and Sculathon) or that they are made by Catholics. It's that the fictional world, and, possibly, the viewers participation in the fictional world depends in each case, on a particular kind of belief or faith. A belief in 1. a "cultural" Catholicism, but not god on the Golden Girls 2. an "ethical" Catholicism, but not god, on MASH 3. god, the trinity, the devil and pretty much everything and anything, for the X-Files. Eh. I'm not sure about the Catholicisms, but I think belief, faith and popular serial fiction might lead somewhere . . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might enjoy my post on Catholics and the corned beef/fish for Lent question- http://technically.us/eat/articles/2006/03/10/fish-for-lent-part-2

There are a lot of Catholics in Pittsburgh! Lots of good fish fries, too. Completely off your topic, though.

Brian Moore and Jon Hassler, fiction writers with strong Catholic themes whom I have read and enjoyed.

10:46 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

el, i got your comment in my yahoo mailbox, as usual.

and i had to guess which post you'd posted it on. i was afraid you were being snide about us deciding that laundering should be paid labor.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]