Friday, October 20, 2006

questions posed to our techno-gustatory memory

From : "thethriftiestgirlinla" <-----@---.edu>
Sent : Thursday, October 19, 2006 9:59 PM
To : -------@hotmail.com
Subject : one small jar

What does one do with one small jar of berry preserves that are best
before 10/15/06?

Should one make a linzertorte with the preserves? Or is there another
alternative?

xo "the thriftiest girl in LA"

P.S. My friend Aaron thinks that "in the soup" is a domestic version of
"in the shit" which originates from army-speak.


Apart from eating a lot of scones and jam, maybe with cheese, or chicken sandwiches with preserves or hosting a brunch with these items, I didn't have anything to suggest other than the linzertorte. But if you've got any ideas, post them here, quick, before her jam goes bad. Does jam go bad? Suddenly?

But this email provides the opportunity to post the recipe I use for linzertorte. Ever since I once posted a photo of said European dessert item, searches for linzertorte bring a lot of hits here. Note: I've been keeping an eye on my searches, but nothing very funny has been searched. Oh, except this: "what kind of offensive language does nancy drew books use?"

I keep the recipe in an email from my little brother.

From : "mylittlebrother" <--------@surfree.com>
Sent : Saturday, December 25, 1999 3:47 PM
To : <-------@hotmail.com>
Subject : linzer torte

hey ----, here's what the book says:
1 cup butter, softened, Pinch of salt
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 egg, 1 egg
white
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, 2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour,
1 1/2 cups rasberry jam or currant jelly, 1 1/2 cups ground hazelnuts or
almonds, confectioners' sugar

beat butter until creamy; beat in sugar to a fluff, add the egg, beat
until frothy; then add flour, nuts, salt and cinnamon. Chill
thoroughly, then roll out two-thirds of the dough large enough to cover
the bottom and sids of a 9-inch round cake pan, preferably one with
removable bottom. Brush egg white over the bottom; let dry. Roll out
the remaining dough, cut into lattice strips. Blend the lemon rind and
juice with the rasberry jam or currant jelly, spread this filling over
the pastry dough. Place the lattice pastry strips over the top. Bake
in oven preheated to 400 F for 45 minutes. When torte is removed from
oven, immediately sprinkle top with confectioners' sugar. Spoon
additional jam into squares formed by the lattice if filling has shrunk
noticeably. Makes 6 to 8 servings. chow and ciaou


In other news, almost 24 hours after I saw some fresh figs I involuntarily remembered with whom (and where) it was that I got into an argument about what the fruit on my plate was. It was a fresh fig and it was a grad student at a kind of fancy with an invited speaker dinner. A few days ago the thriftiest girl in LA was describing fresh figs over the phone and I knew I'd gotten in a fight with someone over fresh figs but the details escaped me.

Don't mention the m-word. How hilarious is this? I added Carolita Johnson to my sidebar because, really, in addition to being a New Yorker cartoonist she regularly posts a short, pointed digest of the week's New Yorker articles. And she keeps an ongoing "Tables for One" log: the tale that precedes the post linked above is also absolutely darling.

And when I saw Chungking Express for the second time last week I realized that although I remembered parts of the movie, I could have sworn the pineapple plot was entirely new to me. I saw this film for the first time the year before my little brother wrote me the above email.

Categories: ,

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger girish said...

Ah, the pinaepple plot, which appears in both Chungking Express and in Fallen Angels.

Just remembered this Wong interview:

Q: Expired pineapple tins is a common theme in both Chungking Express and Fallen Angels. What is it about pineapple that's so terrible?

WKW: Basically, I like fruits but I hate pineapple, so I think one of the best tortures for a character in my films is for him to be eating a lot of pineapple.

10:26 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I'm so glad he prefaces the anti-pineapple thing with, "I like fruits . . ." In case we got the wrong message.

1:31 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

One of my favorite moments in the movie is when Takeshi Kaneshiro tries to pick up blondie with the line, "Do you like pineapple?" Amazing! But my favorite, of course, is Fay Wong dancing to "California Dreaming" with her salad tongs.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of "Freebird" and the French, I recently heard a fabulous rendition of it in French, by a band called "Whiskey Rebellion." A must-hear, if you ever see them perform, yell out "Freebird!" :)

(I think they're a Brooklyn band, but I heard them up in Rhinebeck.)

9:24 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I wonder what the liklihood of me ever hearing Whiskey Rebellion is? But coincidentally, I just did a crossword puzzle a few days ago and one of the answers was "Whisky Rebellion" spelled that way and it seemed that even if one could spell Whisky that way, in the case of the rebellion it was never spelled that way . . . Crossword puzzles that cheat drive me insane.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]