Tuesday, September 20, 2005

accessibility for bloggers with visual impairments

You may have noticed the subtle redesign. I like this better, and I did it at the suggestion of the American Foundation for the Blind. This is a list of their suggestions for accessible blog design and blogger services for bloggers with visual impairments. If anyone has further suggestions, please let me know! All I had to do was replace the word "left" with "right" in the opening "set up" part of the template.

Now might be the time to explain the "blindness" category on my blog. Its not as widespread as the discussion of deaf/Deaf in disability activism or disability studies, and its not analogous either, but I'm using the term "blindness" to discuss representations, whereas I will be using the term visual impairment to discuss personal experiences in the material world. I know its difficult to keep these separate, and they are related in many ways, but maintaining the distinction is worth a try.

Take the example of Picasso's painting of the Blind Man's Meal, posted on this blog, back in July. The man in the painting is "blind" in a symbolic sense, because he is a representation. He's blind only because Picasso says he is, represents him as such, relies on other conventional representations of blindness to make his painting. Picasso's work (apart from being in a visual medium, and of course this is significant) doesn't really address (or try to address) issues of the experience in the world of a man with visual impairment in the early part of the 20th C.

By the way, the term "blindness" is much more common than that of "visual impairment" in del.icio.us . . . so for now I'm putting posts that deal with either issue under blindness. In the end, that may make the discussion more accessible . . .

Categories: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Hmm maybe I should do this...

R2000

6:45 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Again, I've had to censor the comments. I did so because I sensed that my commenters had read the title of my blog and no more and were posting only to expose their own blogs.

I hope by now I can recognize when someone's read only the title of a work . . . I've been there, and by that I mean, on both sides.

10:48 AM  
Blogger uptick said...

I have a blind daughter and wish she could read blogs.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]