Monday, September 11, 2006

my mind is like carrot soup

Bubble, bubble, bubble. For those of you plauged by a virtual (ha ha) avalanche of comments from me on your blogs today, I'm making carrot soup. Not exactly this one, at the newly intriguing Pittsburgh cooking, provisioning and dissertating blog Food and Paper, but rather more like this one:

"Carrot Soup With Dill Pesto: Saute 4 large carrots, 1 onion and and 1 tsp dill seeds in 2 tbs butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Add 4 cups broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 35 minutes. Transfer soup to blender in batches and puree. Thin with more broth if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Combine 1 c. fresh dill and 2 tbs pine nuts or sunflower seeds in processor and chop finely using on/off turns. Then slowly add 2 tbs olive oil and process until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Swirl pesto into soupbowls."

Which came in the Kretschmann's Produce email and seems to be more or less (sunflower seeds are a Kretschmann touch) from epicurious/Bon Appetit . . . Because the Kretschmann's sent lots of dill and my partner in crime has, suddenly, stopped eating carrots at the tremendous rate he used to. Thank god. Because carrots never used to be around long enough for me to cook them. And I have to cook them because if I don't they get stuck in my nose.

I added crushed red pepper and garlic to the saute step. And I might add a tiny smidge of dried ginger and/or yogurt later, depending on how things go.

And that dill pesto is way more remarkable than it sounds. Sometimes I love it when things don't have garlic in them. I'd eat this on gnocchi or spaetzl or those very dense twisted pastas from Barilla. Oh wait, the cups of dill are packed and I added 3 tbs nuts and 1 tbs oil.

So making this soup is conducive to posting comments and updating links (there's been a little action down around the film blogs area) and things. But not to writing full scale posts about the education issue or mass observation or film. Actually, I get so absorbed in reading and making comments that suddenly I ask myself, "What is that tantalizing odor?" and then I realize, "Shit, zp, you are making carrot soup. Go check it now."

Categories:

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like carrot soup too, and I really hate the New Yorker. I've hated it ever since I can remember.

12:26 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

You are very welcome to discuss your New Yorker issues here.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kretschmanns have certainly gone wild with carrots this year. So far, the carrots are the only veg that I can't use up every week.
Fortunately, they keep well, since they now occupy almost all the area in one of my 2 fridge drawers. and though I eat them all the time, the pile is growing.
There are quite a lot of twoand 3 legged gnarled ones. They are kind of neat looking, but hard to peel.

7:58 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

like I would peel carrots. I just scrub them vigorously. I actually just bought a peeler this summer at a house sale on Forbes (along with The Enchanted Broccoli forest and a shallow bookcase) but I haven't even used it yet.

10:42 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

I peel everything. I even have a serrated peeler for certain tricky jobs. It can take the peel off a tomato in a single ribbon.

Also, is Tad Friend now the magazine's TV critic? His review of Katie Couric is snarky.

12:03 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

They told me that all the nutrients are in the peel.

I was going to ask *you* if Tad Friend was the new TV critic. Is this his second TV review for the NYer? Still no word on whether he wrote a thing in details, in the late 90s, about living in Torrance . . .

1:47 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This carrot recipe sounds just as good as the one I have advocated. In fact, I really like dill and carrot combos. A certain person who eats at my table is a bit finicky about dill. I know, I know. How am I supposed to enjoy my beet salad, mustardy potatoes, gravlax, and--God knows--pickles?

9:53 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

dill and carrot combos seem sort of old fashioned to me, so that's why i liked your cumin variation.

carrot soup, and correct me if i am wrong, readers, seems to me a funny ahistorical acultural sort of food. what time honored cuisine includes carrot soup? we actually had a lot of soups like carrot soup (dense, sweet, creamy even without milk products) in brazil, but other than that i associate carrot soup with vermont nouveau-veggie type cooking, which is how i had it first. then a very new england girl made me some a few years later.

but this might be a way to work more dill into your diet (i don't mean the reducing kind when i say diet), sarah, because you could plop the dill pesto in and your dining companions could not. i am always trying to work more mustard into my own diet. so maybe it's time for some mustardy-dilly potatoes . . .

11:43 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

on second reading, that post makes no sense. unless you understand that "old fashioned" = 50-20 years ago = nouveau veggie and NOT "time honored" and that is paradoxical but true. i am going now to look up carrot soups in my oldest cookbooks.

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good soup for dill is borscht. Also, do you mean to work more mustard greens into your diet or more mustard seeds? In good Indian spinach dishes (saag/paalak) at least half the greens are mustard greens. The bad stuff, which is almost always what you get at Indian restaurants in American, just uses spinach. In Punjab, mustard greens are served in winter with loads of white butter and cornmeal chapatis. This is called sarsoN da saag and makkhi di roti (the capital N is a nasal). There's just nothing like it. But maybe you meant mustard seeds. I think you are right about carrot soup; it's very Moosewood.

2:41 AM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I actually meant Gulden's spicy brown mustard in a bottle. But I'd be interested in making saag dishes with mustard greens. I get lots of greens that aren't spinach in my veggie box.

And, funny thing, I thought you were trying to give me a clue about the origins of carrot soup over at chapati mystery. when you mentioned vichysoisse - the Fannie Farmer cookbook has a carrot vichysoisse variation.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that kind of mustard, silly me!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother used to make a carrot soup that had peanut butter in it. I know it was an African recipe, or based on one, but I don't know where she got it. I have just remembered it this very moment. It was completely delicious.

This would be sometime in the 60's. She was a Craig Claibourne fanatic, maybe from the original NYTimes cookbook?

6:27 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

an influential friend (like madame librarian and the thrifiest girl in LA and my partner in crime - we'll call him aaron whyte-reiss and see if he comes up again) makes a tomato and peanut butter soup. i think good natural peanut butter goes well in lots of soups. like those fancy "thai" ramen type . . .

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]