Thursday, April 24, 2008

and it's better if i don't read the fiction in its entirety, too.

I was reading (unawares) Alice Munro's story in the old anniversary issue and I started at the part where Nita was telling the story about the deadly rhubarb poison to her visitor (the magazine and I were in the bathroom) and I thought, this story is great. And then I turned to the first page and it was by Munro and I thought, well, I just have to read it. And then it turns out, well . . .

I wonder why she wrote the story in the way she did.

But you know why, really, my posting has been slow? Because I actually hate The New Yorker. That thing that was supposedly about umbrellas, but was really about people who manufacture plastic crap - excuse me, "moldable foam tubes" - in China? That was the last straw.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hugh said...

You've gotta keep Louis Vuitton happy. And sad.

11:53 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

I don't really follow you, but I appreciate the sentiment.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - did the Franzen thing about China make you feel better? It did me.

3:30 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Franzen usually makes me feel worse, so I skipped it. But you're the second person to recommend it to me . . .

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]