Sunday, February 13, 2011

I'll get you, my little pretty!

"This is the infuriating thing that dawns on you one day: even if you would never sleep with or even flirt with anyone to get ahead, you are being sexually adjudicated." That is, of course, Tina Fey in TNY.

Apparently, about a year ago Fey was subject to some sort of "feminist" backlash. I can see where the quote above could - if you're blaming other women for this problem - come from a comic persona that spends too much time pointing fingers "in a field of slutty, slobby, neurotic [female] morons." But here she tries not to.

And I don't watch 30 Rock but the article as a whole actually helped me explore a feeling of solidarity with mothers that I don't always feel. And isn't solidarity the better part of feminism? So, paradoxically, the above gets my vote for best quote of the piece.

Unless it is the delicious description of the difference between childish and adult pleasures: "Covered in slivered almonds and soaked in booze, Italian rum cake is everything kids hate."

And also, most little girls love and admire witches, right? So what is she's worried about in the first place?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this one. My favorite line, "The definition of ‘crazy’ in show business is a woman who keeps talking even after no one wants to fuck her anymore,” nicely illustrates the need for feminism everywhere, I'd say.

I had a 19-year-old sous chef this year who, while lovely in all respects (particularly that she literally looks--and talks!--EXACTLY like Ellen Page), had a serious age bias thing going on that depressed the crap out of me. She would see no problem with saying things like "My grandma's hands are disgusting. I hate old people." and I would look at my youngish hands, all rough and dry from washing them 1,000 times a day, and pretend to myself that I wasn't vain, and that I won't be ashamed to be old when I'm old.

Can you tell I just had a birthday?

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]