Tuesday, October 25, 2005

affect and sensory experience

Note the new ways I've got to categorize my posts, in the left hand sidebar. I'm ridiciously interested/excited about this.

Tomkins' Affects: I took the nine affects from Silvan Tomkins' Affect Imagery Consciousness and I kept disgust and dissmell, though I didn't know if I'd use them. Funny thing, I used disgust right away!! I added bored/frustrated, which probably should be boredom/frustration, but oh well. And maybe that's more of an emotion . . . but I find Tomkins a little arbitrary. Compelling, but/and arbitrary. Here's the Wikipedia summary.

On the one hand, I don't really like how these affects are, for Tomkins, tied primarily to visual facial cues. There might be more affects that linked to hands, feet, tummy, etc. And not everyone can read/see faces but they might perceive these other cues. He suggests this, but its not really there. On the other hand, because the affects ARE tied to visual facial cues, they become, for Tomkins, part of a feedback system that is bound to communication and social interaction. One sees that the other is angry . . . And I like the idea that, now, in my blog I am giving you visual (textual, here) cues that you can intepret and so the affect is communicated . . . As if it weren't before. I may add more if need be.

Sensory Experience: I came to this first, because I didn't like the idea of an "images" category that reduced all my images to visual images. So I thought I would break down the kind of descriptions of sensory experience that I address in this blog. Funny thing, if you think about it, how sensory blogs are - food and knitting, gustatory, olfactory and tactile . . .

Actually, I'm also thinking about this in response to Schjeldahl's "Words and Pictures" too, today, I think I'll write more fully on this in a bit, but the following is the worst of it: "the incommensurable functions of reading and looking." (162) Wrong, wrong, wrong. Reading and looking are both visual experiences and slide back and forth into one another. Especially in poetry, the literary point of comparison with graphic novels, for Schjeldahl. But also in movies and collage and reading and magazines and the web and TV and travelling and advertising . . . Actually, when I was tagging the last entry, I misstyped and got visualliterary as a sensory experience. Which is exactly right, right, right.

Categories: , ,
Sensory Experiences: , ,
Affects:

2 Comments:

Blogger zoe p. said...

PS. And we might understand "literary" as "virtual," that is sensory experience by proxy while at the same time immediate sensory experience.

2:21 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

I love the categories. The more the better.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]