Tuesday, October 11, 2005

back to Boston, the Harvard Bookstore

This was an odd experience. I haven't been in a used bookstore in ages (in the basement of the Harvard Bookstore there are used books), I guess I've been relying on Powell's online, Alibris and Amazon for academic books. And since Threepenny Books, a good place to browse for light reading and walking distance from my place in Pittsburgh closed.

Anyway, in US fiction and lit, lit crit and philosophy, classic British mysteries they didn't have anything I'd look at twice. I was daunted, but I pursued and I did find:

UnInvited: Classic Hollywood Cinema and Lesbian Representability, by Patricia White. Which includes a great reading of "The Haunting" and nice analysis of the supporting female role, specifically Agnes Moorehead.

Femme Fatales: Feminisim, Film Theory, Psychoanalysis, by Mary Ann Doane. Which has the amazing essay, " 'When the direction of the force acting on the body is changed' : The Moving Image" Given that she's written this, I think I can just plug in a few new terms and examples and call the dissertation written. Ha ha.

Meyer Schapiro's classic essays on Modern Art.

EH Gombrich, The Story of Art in a beautiful hardcover edition for only $4 with some intriguing clippings inside, as a bonus!

Pauline Kael 5001 Nights at the Movies. Mini reviews on film classics written by the New Yorker film critic published in 1982. Both a reference book and a kind of historic document.

I was also able to get mom a birthday present. A catalog for the Shelburne Museum, in Shelburne Vermont. This amazing indoor outdoor museum is an eclectic of early American New England material culture, brought together by a Victorian sensibility. Barns, houses, quilts, cruise ships, toys, cigar store Indians, domestic stuff, all manner of technology and folk art . . . I can't even describe it. It is nothing like Williamsburgh, nothing.

Thats a portrait of Schapiro, Moorehead is the glamourous girl, Electra Havemeyer Webb, a Shelburne collector, is sitting with the dogs and Kael is the early 80's auntie, Gombrich is in the chair. A good looking group, no?

I also slipped and fell in Harvard Square. I landed right in puddle, my ass got very wet, and my umbrella went hurtling into the street. Traffic stopped, someone retreived my umbrella and I was damp and mortified.

Categories: , , , ,
Affects: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger femme feral said...

I love used bookstores. And I hate falling in puddles.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]