Thursday, September 14, 2006

sad, brief love

My supermarket sometimes has a table of odd discount items. And I'm not above making a cake from a mix, if its a good mix.

So when I found a box of

Giant Eagle
(Brand)
Pumpkin
Premium Quick Bread Mix
Moist and Full of Harvest Spices

I looked at the ingredients:

unbleached wheat flour,
sugar,
dried pumpkin,
leavening
(sodium acid pyrophosphate,
baking soda,
monocalcium phosphate),
corn starch,
spices,
salt.

Nothing too awful shocking.

And all you have to add is 3 tbs oil, 2 eggs and a cup of water. I added a handful of pine nuts to the top. While the end result was a little too sweet, it was easy and came out a perfect texture and froze well and tasted wonderful with cream cheese and everything.

However, this item had been sitting on the discount table, I think, because Giant Eagle is getting out of the cake mix business. Local cooks, does your Giant Eagle still carry this nice little item? Others, have you found reliable and not so very chemical brands of bready cake mix?

Categories: , ,

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have any answers for you, but I was recently thinking of other ways to expand the paradigm-bending savory-sweet baked goods category, i.e., pumpkin pies, zucchini bread, etc. My first experiment is going to be an edamame pie. My SO is not very enthusiastic at the prospect, but I am confident that we are just not exploring the frontiers of the edamame adequately.

4:28 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

edamame pie sounds exciting. or edamame sugar cookies, now that you mention it.

which raises an interesting point about food, wine and posting pairings. one of the things i wanted to say about pairings, i think, is that i always want them to have some tension and not be too matchy-matchy. (i feel like i just made comments somewhere about the pitfalls of matchy-matchy . . . where the hell ? . . . ?)

edamame pie, now that's practically dialectical.

wait, do you mean custardy like key lime or pumpkin pie or like apple tart or linzertorte? you could put edamame in a tart/torte crust, like almonds.

in any case, let me know how it goes.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Williams-Sonoma puts their mixes on sale, usually after a "season" or holiday, I usually buy them; they're pretty good and don't have anything in them that you wouldn't use yourself.

8:46 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

williams-sonoma has a sale table? i'll see you there next time the wind changes.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]