Thursday, June 26, 2008

if you like pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain

Kottke links to this. A discussion (post and comments) of the personals in the New York Review of Books that is, maybe, even funnier than the personals themselves. Although I let my subscription lapse this past fall, I have a few notes.

1. I suspect the "anthropologist at heart" is not comparing herself to more superficial anthropologists, but actually admitting a guilty secret . . . no? Like being a romantic. Or a chocoholic.

2. I'm switching to the London Review of Books right now!!

3. And is there a name for the (fairly common) comical bait and switch in pulsford's second example?

4. Also, note to my Aunt Eleanor (who is clearly the "yoga nazi"), don't you already have a "dumpy, bland moccasin-wearing M?" Work on him first then go looking for another one.

This cracks me up, obviously.

4 Comments:

Blogger mzn said...

Hey, long time no comment! That NYRB personals analysis is really good. Reminds me of a Henry Jaglom movie, don't remember which one, where one of the characters complains with a sigh, "I have to stop responding to personals in the New York Review of Books." Or that's how I remember it.

6:25 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Hey! I'm glad someone is still reading! Because I have a surprisingly large number of posts drafted.

I don't know what movie you're thinking of . . . is it worth watching/rewatching the likely ones?

12:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have nothing really of substance to add to this thread, but this was highly enjoyable. I loved the comment about semicolons.

6:33 PM  
Blogger zoe p. said...

Again, I'm just glad you're still reading! Now even more posts are in the works:

O'Hara, new Evangelicals, Andrea Lee on the state of Pennsylvania, itchiness . . .

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]