Monday, June 21, 2010

eat me

Elif Batuman, "Letter from Istanbul, The Memory Kitchen." From the abstract: "The writer notes that food has never played a large role in her mental life, but that night at Çiya, she viscerally understood why someone might use a madeleine dipped in tea as a metaphor for the spiritual content of the material world."

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/04/19/100419fa_fact_batuman#ixzz0rVWEPd5c

I really wanted to read an article about food in Istanbul. When the author admitted that she wasn't that interested in food herself, I was intrigued. When she made the ol' Proust reference, I put down the magazine. Enough already.

But really, how cool is this? In a food essay! "I get so confused by nutritional, budgetary, ecological, ethical, aesthetic, and time-managment concerns that I often subsist for weeks on instant oatmeal and multi-vitamins." Maybe I'll try again now that I'm better rested and less testy.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with that one, either.

10:16 PM  
Blogger David Boyk said...

It's worth going back and reading the article. It's another in the genre of New Yorker articles where the author says, "Hey, here's this restaurant you've never heard of! It's THE BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD." Another one was Fuschia Dunlop's fantastic article on Dragon Well Manor in Hangzhou, China.

4:36 PM  
Blogger John MacDougall said...

I thought Batuman's piece was absolutely delicious! See my post at thenewyorkerandme.blogspot.com under "April 19, 2010 Issue." I'm currently reading her "Summer in Sammarkind II" in the spring issue of "n+1."

6:26 PM  
Anonymous lagusta said...

Oh, I adored the article on Dragon Well Manor in Hangzhou, China! I think about it maybe once a week.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]